Tuesday 16 March 2010

A Sermon Junky

One of my (probably) good habits is listening to sermons, online, often just before I go to bed. Whilst I think that one of the great blessings of the internet is the availability of a lot of good sermons by some really sound, godly teachers, often I find in my life, this habit can distract me from other disciplines, like prayer, and my own personal time in God's word. 


Listening to great teaching, day in, day out is a great blessing, but nothing can replace prayer & quiet times in our pursuit of holiness, and a deeper knowledge of God. Prayer will deepen our personal relationship with God when we speak to him, and reading the bible gives us deeper knowledge of him, two things which not even the best speakers can do for us. 


If you are in this habit, it's a good one to be in, but just watch yourself that you don't slip in another spiritual discipline!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Buddy- it's Niv- just discovered your blog, it's pretty fantastic, thought I'd recommend a recent sermon we had at StAG given by Tim Keller (who wrote 'The Reason for God') on David and Nathan and 2 Samuel 12, it was really decent!

    http://www.stag.org/multimedia/sermons

    anyway, i hope everything is going really well, and we should have another meet-up and lunch at ours with other SE3 people! God bless bro!

    ReplyDelete