Saturday 12 December 2009

Evangelism and Secularism in the UK

Today I was doing some street evangelism in Tooting, London. The population here is extremely diverse, with a large percentage of the population from South Asia (India, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia), and also lots of people from the middle east and eastern Europe.


Anyway, it was just amazing how much interest there was in a couple of tables with some cheesy looking tracts and books about Jesus. True, we were giving away free tea, coffee and samosas on an icy cold day. But we had some great conversations with people, and loads of them took away literature. I'll be praying that God uses this ministry of South Asia Concern to make his name and glory known to these people! (http://www.southasianconcern.org/)


Anyway, I was thinking on the way home, why is there so much interest amongst this demographic in the UK about Jesus, and next to no interest (often opposition) amongst the middle class white population. Certainly no-one in my office has shown great interest in my faith in Christ, and often are apathetic and decline invitations to lunchtime evangelistic talks. One (untested and unverified) theory is that they live in a secular country, and in secular cultures and families. Talking about religion (or politics) is not the 'done thing'  at dinner parties. Religion is a social no-no.


However, south asians, and people from the middle east may live in a secular country here, but their families and micro-cultures are certainly not secular. Religion is part of the fabric of their lives, so they will naturally discuss it. Going to the temple or mosque is part of their heritage, so they will openly want to, and feel free to talk about God, religion, and even Jesus!


Which then led me to ask myself, 'well how do I reach my english friends?'. Obviously prayer, perseverence and boldness in talking to them. However it does seem like a harder mission field to me. Talking to random indians, pakistanis, arabs and turkish people about Jesus seemed less frightening to me then talking to my mates in the pub, or at football, or at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment